Based on these assumptions, the INTER project purports to improve quality of education
and contribute to innovation in schools by assisting them in the adoption / implementation
of an intercultural approach, fostering the reflection on cultural diversity and
providing a practical tool for training initial and in-service teachers. The project
will focus on developing, making use of, and validating a practical and systematic
guide which will provide support in analysing, implementing and/or improving intercultural
education in school practices. Within this context the key objectives of the proposal
1. To map out the cultural diversity of students and communities in European
school settings, and more specifically in those countries involved in the project.
2. To critically assess the educational policies and practices developed in
relation to meeting the needs of culturally diverse students and communities.
3. To define and exemplify the intercultural approach in education in terms
of theoretical foundations and practical implications.
4. To elaborate a systematic guide as a device to analyse, support, manage
and improve the intercultural approach in schooling practices, in relation to
curriculum and institutional dimensions.
5. To use and validate the guide in the diverse teacher training institutions
involved in the project.